[Zope] Bullet list manager

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
28 Nov 2001 23:09:11 -0700

On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 02:36, Howard Hansen wrote:
> I'm working on a site that will include lots of bulleted lists.  My boss
> loves the idea of making content change with each visit, so he wants to have
> a bulleted list of -- say -- 10 benefits of membership, but only display
> three of them for any given page view.  He's got a list of 100 interesting
> facts.  He wants to display only one.  He's got a database of upcoming
> events.  He wants to display three upcoming ones.
>
> Seems to me that these are all the same problem: pick one or more items out
> of a list, wrap begin and end item HTML around each item, wrap begin list
> and end list HTML around the entire list, and plunk it onto the page.  Mix
> in a reasonably idiot-proof UI for managing the list items, and I think that
> would make a pretty cool product for Zope.
>
> This begs a few questions: Does this or something like it already exist, or
> is it just a really stupid idea?  Are there features people would like to
> have?  Is anyone willing to help me with the design and creation of the
> internals of this thing?  Are there any similar, folderish products that I
> should use as a model for my design?
>
> Thanks!

Start here for a brief intro:
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/How-To/RandomContent

you can also look at how ads are randomly selected here:
http://www.zope.org/Members/Bill/Products/BannerSystem

For ideas on how I've done this anyway. The latter shows a way of doing
"weighted" random, IIRC. I need to update that code ... if anyone is
interested.

Bill