[Zope] How big a site can Zope handle?

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:20:58 +0100

From: "Andy McKay" <andym@ActiveState.com>

> > I need to know that it will be able to handle the amount of users and
hits
> > that this site will have to deal with. About 275,000 users to have
> > accounts and about 150,000 hits a day (at the moment but set to grow
quickly).

> Easily.

How much of a difference does it make if most of those hits make a
transaction (ie change something in the database).

Hmm. That was a very loosely put question, maybe I should be more specific
so I'll get a better answer. :-)

If I have a nice big commodity box, say a 1GHz PC, and have users that with
all of their hits make some kind of transaction, say, writing in a
discussion forum, or reading in a discussion forum (and thereby marking the
posts as read, hence the transaction).
How many users would such a system be able to handle? 100, 1000, 10.000,
100.000?
Any experiences on this?