[Zope] weird permissions behaviour

Tom Cameron tom@mooball.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:05:35 +1000

I have just been out to a client of mine that uses Zope 2.3.3 on Windows
2000.

They found that all of a sudden nobody was able to view part of their site.

I did some checking and found that they were getting permissions errors on
all sorts of obscure things. In one case they got permission denied on a
particular value returned from a db query. The permissions on the query were
ok, and they could run the query, but could access one of the values
returned. No matter what user/roles were used.

In another case they were denied access to the 'title' property of a DTML
document, but access to all the rest of the document was ok.

After about 2 hours of frustration. I exported this section of the site out
to .xml then imported it back again. This fixed everything and all is ok
now.

I have no explanation of what happened, if anybody does that would be nice.
Also, if someone experiences the same thing, export/import is a potential
fix.

Tom