[Zope] mysql auto_increment adding numbers on its own

Martijn Pieters mj@zope.com
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 00:08:14 -0400

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 11:45:51PM -0400, Ron Bickers wrote:
> The log shows that at least through #5 happened, apparently without any
> problems.  The last two log entries (and their corresponding empty records
> in the MySQL database) seem to indicate that 'sendOrder' ran again, which
> initiated a new session since the previous had been invalidated.  I'm not
> sure what all this means, but it looks bizarre.

I see. You may want to analyze your HTTP logs as well, see if there were
multiple requests, etc.

> > As for unique, sequential numbering; try a transactional database. Current
> > versions of MySQL can do transactions as well, but for reliability I'd
> > personally opt for PostgreSQL; orders should be stored as securely as
> > possible, automically, etc. And PostgreSQL may even be faster
> > than MySQL for
> > you in your application; MySQL no longer can claim being the fastest.
>
> Interesting you should say that.  Has PostgreSQL done something in the last
> 6 months or so to increase its speed?  Every time I give it a try, my simple
> queries used for browsing and searching products prove many times slower
> than MySQL.  It might mean 4 seconds instead of 1, but 4 seconds in Web time
> is a lot.  100% of my queries (except this order storage) are read only.

Maybe an index here or there would help? I do know that version 7.1 has
introduced many speedups and that SourceForge has switched from MySQL to
PostgreSQL because the latter was faster for their usage.

> Maybe I'll try setting up a transaction capable table just for this portion.
> However, I can't see why the transaction would have been rolled back since
> it appears to have made it to the end on the first try.

So it would seem. Strange!

--
Martijn Pieters