[Zope] Zope and mime types ???

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:06:32 -0400

[Frank Stephan]

> So I see no chance to create a product like DocumentLibrary using
> content/mime types.
> The only way to get the correct 'mapping' is to use the file extensions
?!?

> Am I right with that? Please comment.

There is no general way. Word documents do not have to have a ".doc"
extension and non-Word documents may have a ".doc" extension.  The
convention seems to be followed more often these days, but there's no
guarantee.  The only way would be to snoop the file and determine from the
contents what it is.  And that's not only hard, it may not always be
possible.

So encourage everyone to use standard file extensions, provide an override
mechanism, and hope for the best.

Cheers,

Tom P