[Zope] Data.fs 2GB problem ...

Paul Winkler slinkp23@yahoo.com
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:59:48 -0400

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 07:08:47PM +0200, Gitte Wange wrote:
> tor, 2001-10-11 kl. 18:54 skrev Takashi Linzbichler:

> > > Sorry but will you please explain that ??
> > >
> > > We are using Mandrake 8.0 on our server so yes we have a kernel > 2.4.x
> > > running ...
> > > And our filesystem is created under that kernel ..
> >
> > OK. I have absolutly no experience with Mandrake, so I can't tell, what
> > they're doing ...
> > But as far as I can see from what you've written, you should not run
> > into troubles as far as the OS is concerned.
> >
> > I _guess_, if you're following Anreas' advice and reinstall Python with
> > LFS, everything should be fine.
> >
> > 	ta
>
> Well we just looked into the sources of python and looked at the
> configure file ... and it has a check whether the system it runs on
> supports LF ... and this one returns with a big NO !
> :-((((
>
> Is there someway I can test if our system supports LFS ???

I have not yet set up large file support. But you could try it and see...

First, see if you have more than 2 GB available space on the drive.
Then try this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=big_file_test bs=1024 count=2200000

If all is well, that should take a few minutes and leave you with
a file a little over 2 GB.

If dd exits with an error, then your system is not set up for large files.
remove big_file_test when done, of course.

I don't have Mandrake, don't know what they do by default, but you may have to:
1) compile a new kernel with large file support (look in the filesystem options
during make xconfig or make menuconfig)
2) make a new filesystem with large file support (read man mke2fs).
I think you need at least version 1.20 of mke2fs.

hope that helps,

PW

--
 custom calendars:   http://www.calendargalaxy.com