[Zope] Install doesn't start properly

Martijn Pieters mj@zope.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:05:35 -0400

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:53:08AM -0400, Behrens Matt - Grand Rapids wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote:
>
> > When you start Zope as root, Zope changes the UID to nobody.
> > Check if the nobody user has permissions to write to the Z2.pid
> > file.
>
> This behavior really needs to be changed.  Obviously nobody is better
> than root, but it's still not the safety net everyone thinks it is (see
> http://www.zope.org/Members/zigg/DontRunAsNobody).  Z2 needs to quit if
> it's being run as root.
>
> I would supply a patch but (a) there's no Collector, and (b) I had an
> issue in the Collector for a long time wrt "nobody" that got pretty much
> ignored.
>
> Sorry for the tone, but this whole nobody thing makes me cranky. :-)

The server needs to start as root to be able to bind to lower port numbers,
like port 80.

The above URL confuses running as nobody and having the files owned by
nobody. Files should be owned by root (which it would do if installed as
root) and you can run as nobody, provided that nobody has permission to
write to the var directory.

--
Martijn Pieters