[Zope] Re: Threading, dtml and performance?!

Oliver Bleutgen Oliver Bleutgen <myzope@gmx.net>
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:27:46 +0200

> AFAIK, such a beast does not exist where you can stop a transaction from
> pressing a browsers stop button. Web is stateless, so a stop button on a
> browser cannot be connected to the servers understanding of finish the
> request or don't.

Hitting the stop button on the browser at least causes two things:
a) stop making further requests (stop loading images etc.) on that
page
b) reset all open tcp connections from that browser window by
sending a RST packet.

What we see with that long running process is b), and that
is something the server can notice - web is stateless,
but a tcp connection is not.

That was the point why I tested a similar thing with
apache/mod-perl. The process _will_ get stopped when
the user presses stop on his browser. Zope just runs on
under the same circumstances.

cheers,
oliver