[Zope] Photo product: how to recreate thumbnails with Imagemagick

Paul Winkler slinkp23@yahoo.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:57:32 -0400

I wrote:
> > Does it run faster or slower than PIL? By about how much?

... and got two contradictory replies, so clearly I'll have to check
it out myself. :)

> If I understand the product correctly, the Photo product works by rendering
> all the various sizes at the time you create the Photo instance. Therefore,
> once you've created the 'Photo' the program used to create the images should
> have no bearing on how fast the images appear on your Web site. In other
> words, Photo doesn't create the thumbnails on the fly.

Right, but I'm building a site where users will upload some pretty
large images, and how long they have to wait for their first view of
the thumbnails may be more important than how nice they look in this
case. But with any luck, both will prove to be "fast enough" under
load.

--

paul winkler
home:  http://www.slinkp.com