[Zope] MySQL or PostGres

Oliver Bleutgen Oliver Bleutgen <myzope@gmx.net>
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 12:09:23 +0200

> Hi,

> Which out of MySQL or PostGres would work better with Zope?
> Which has the more stable DA and what one should I use in each case?

I'm running zope 2.2.2 (previous 2.1.6) with postgres/PoPy as a
loginmanager backend for an extranet with 500 users.
And zope 2.3.3 for a low traffic portal where all the content
comes from postgres and is updated via foxpro/odbc by the client.
Both run without any problem since about 10 months - the zopes
were update since then.
One minor thing with Zpopyda is that I'm not quite sure about which
and how the different versions of postgres/popy/zpopy/zope will work
together and so updating postgres on a server with multiple zopes
using zpopyda could get a bit of a headache.

I like postgres very much, so I'm not neutral, but anyway, some
advocacy might be in order. There's virtually no limitation
of field sizes in postgres 7.1 btw (64 TB table size, 1GB field
size, 1600 cols/table ;-) )

> (kinda OT for Zope, but which has the better full-text search capability?)

Do you mean fast or flexible?

With postgres you can do regexps on text-fields for flexibility, and for speed
there is a fulltext tool in the contrib directory of the postgres source.
It works in form of a trigger, and uses the same method as zope's catalog
(inverted text indexes + stopwords) - I haven't used it myself, though.

cheers,
oliver