postgres logging Re: [Zope] GUF & SQL login problems

Lee Harr missive@hotmail.com
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 21:54:06 +0000

>Okay, I changed postmaster.opts to include d=2, and I verified using
>"pg_ctl status" that it applies. Now where is the log file? The queries
>do not go to syslog...
>
>There is a file that looks like a log: /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_log. It is
>growing, but when I start psql and do "SELECT * from pg_log", I get
>"ERROR: pg_log cannot be accessed by users"...

Actually, I use the -l switch to pg_ctl to specify the location
of the log file.

As long as the file you are talking about is not actually pg_xlog
that might be it. You might try
more /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_log

Any file in that directory will not be a database or table.

Or look in the .../pgsql directory and see if it is not there.
It looks like there is also a way in postgresql.conf
to send logging to syslog.

>From the postmaster man page, it says that postmaster runs in
the foreground by default and prints log messages to stdout.

So the easiest thing to do may be just to start it by hand
in the foreground and watch the log on the console, or
redirect it to a file using
postmaster [other switches here] -o -d 2 > logfile