[Zope] Advice needed: load balancing wih ZEO and Apache on Solaris.

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 08:18:02 +0100

On 3/9/01 10:38 pm, "Steve Spicklemire" <steve@spvi.com> wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> Hmm.. my benchmarking with 'ab' didn't show any significant
> slowdown. YMMV! It's easy enough to try, why not find out? The rewrite
> module keeps the the program running and just sends to stdin and reads
> from stdout. You could write it in "C" if it turns out to be a
> bottleneck. I think however that if you have poor python performance,
> then Zope is going to be a much bigger problem than my little script. :-(
>
> -steve

Oh I quite agree that my Zope performance will be the bottleneck. Thing is,
I managed to get Phils' Apache ReWriteRules to work, ie

>> Basically, you need to create a file that has these lines in, call it
>> map.txt (the name doesn't really matter though):
>>
>> localhost    port1|port2|port3
>>
>> replace port1 .. port 3 with the exact ports you are using:
>>
>> localhost    8080|8081|8082
>>
>> You can put as many options on this line as you need.
>>
>> Then change your final rewrite rule to be like this:
>>
>>   RewriteMap servers rnd:/path/to/file/map.txt
>>   RewriteRule ^/(.*)
>> http://localhost:$(servers:localhost)/VirtualHostBase/http/myserver.ncl.
>> ac.u
>> k:80/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [P]

...and as I'm having lots of 'fun' with my
CoreSessionTracking/BerkeleyDB/ZEO combination at the moment, I'm up to my
eyes in it.

Many thanks for the pointers though Steve,
Tone.
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140