[Zope] zope 2.4.x crashing on RH 7.x

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Fri, 07 Sep 2001 16:35:40 +0100

Andy Dustman wrote:

> (I hate that Evolution has ctrl-return as a short-cut to send a
> message...)
>
> On 07 Sep 2001 16:04:56 +0100, Steve Alexander wrote:
>
>>bak (kedai) wrote:
>>

>>> Aiieee! 19489 exited with error code: 11
>>>

>>This looks like the py_malloc problem in Python 2.11, which causes
>>segmenatation faults like you're seeing.
>>

> I did some more investigation on this problem, and my conclusion was
> that a change in Python starting in version 2.0.1 (also in 2.1, which
> when using O format with PyArgs_FromTupleAndKeywords() in < 2.0.1, you
> get a new reference, and in >= 2.0.1, you get a borrowed reference. The
> latter you need to Py_INCREF() if you want to keep. If you do this in <
> 2.0.1, you don't crash but you leak memory. See the zope-dev archives
> for the whole story.

I think the problem you've found is different than this problem.

My own anecdote is that I moved an app to Zope 2.4.x and Python 2.11,
both compiled from source on i386 Linux. I got these segfaults every
half hour or so, more or less.
I recompiled python and zope, configuring python --without-py_malloc. I
have had no further crashes.

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer