don't use ZClasses [was: [Zope] Management of Base classes]

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 19:56:40 +0200 (CEST)

Achim Domma writes:
 > I'm quite new to Zope and read this list now for some weeks. I successfully
 > created my first ZClasses and I realy like them. Can somebody tell me why I
 > should NOT use ZClasses ? Where's the problem ?
I like ZClasses and did not yet have serious bad experiences...

But:

  * They made problems in the past during migration to new Zope versions,
    usually because products they depended upon have not been
    installed, were no longer available.

    The error messages have not been very helpful to locate the
    problem.

    Otherwise, you will have the same problems with Python based
    products, just you are told more directly what went wrong.

  * There are rumors (--> mailing list archives) that subclassing
    of a ZClass living in a different product breaks
    after export/import.

  * ZClasses are not easy to grasp with all these methods, views,
    permissions, permission mappings ...

  * They are strange objects, which cannot be copied, renamed, pasted,
    rebased....

    They may well cause surprises...

Dieter