[Zope] Moving a application from digicool.com to our host...

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:48:19 +0200 (CEST)

addyd@unk.edu writes:
 > So... a couple of questions.
 > 1) How do I find out what sort of Support Contract the newspaper has with
 > Zope.com (if any... this was purchased some time ago).
Are you sure, this is a question for the Zope mailing list?

Any person hired as a consultant should know how to find out
information like this....
If not, he should be fired immediately!

 > 2)Do you feel it would be necessary to purchase a new support contract
 > (assuming the old one has expired) or once things are installed and running
 > is there much to support?
Almost the same as above.

We cannot tell you who are the consultant whether *YOUR* project
needs external support....
You need to find that out yourself.

 > 3) Since this application was purchased some time ago, I'm wondering if it
 > will still work with a current version of Zope (or is it likely that
 > something is broke).
If it was not actively maintained, i.e. ported to new Zope versions,
it will break...
Fixing it would probably not be too hard, but it will need to be done....

 > 4) What steps do you recommend for moving this application successfully?
 > I'm assuming I would start with getting the current version of Zope
 > installed on the new host and somehow exporting the database into the new
 > database. Any pointers to HOWTOs, etc?
You copy the ZODB, all application specific products and the content
of "Extensions" and see what happens.

As said above, it will probably not work, unless the application
has been actively maintained.

Dieter