[Zope] ZCatalog in different languages

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.pp.ru>
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:16:49 +0400

Current model of data processing, mostly created in the country with one
langauge and monoculture, is completely inadequate for miltilingual
multiencoding models. I don't know how hard it would be to change this. If
you want to chamge only Zope, you have to untie it from OS (stop using
locales at all), write your own splitters and other components. Perhaps
it's not a task for lazy Sunday :( May be Unicode will be of some help, but
I am not sure.
   Certainly it is possible. Oracle, for example, allows to create
multilingual multiencoding databases. But it is not so simple.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 11:05:06AM +0200, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 10:24:32PM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> >> Zope's splitter may be locale aware (if not, it may be quite easily
> >> made so).
> >> In this case, you would start Zope with the "-L" switch to tell
> >> it the locale to use and everything else may work automatically.
> >
> >    Zope's Splitter is perfectly locale aware now - I spent so much time
> > debugging and fixing and testing new releases.
>
> Whats the use of this? At least I want more then one language
> per site. For now the usual OSes do not support more then one
> locale at a given time.
>
> >> Of course, this will work only for one language per site (Zope
> >> installation).
> >
> >    What is worse - one encoding per Zope installation (we the Russians use
> > at least two different encodings - windows-1251 and koi8-r).
>
> What can we do to change this?

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann     http://www.zope.org/Members/phd/     phd@phd.pp.ru