[Zope] MySQLDA woes with 2.4.1 RH6.1

Andy Dustman andy@dustman.net
19 Sep 2001 18:15:35 -0000

On Sep 19, Richard Moon <richard@dcs.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm trying to use Zope to meet clients' business needs and losing money
> working out why
> I'm getting the following message when running setup.py (why I have to do
> it I don't know but after you unpack the MySQLDA-python distributiion and
> read the README you find you have to do it !) ((No I don't want to know why
> I have to do it )).

That's quite a plea for help.

> I'm assuming I have to have the source Zope distribution to get the missing
> Python.h for Python 2.1 ?

No, you need to have the Python development package installed: python-devel or
python2-devel (if you are using RPMs). It says this right at the top of the
README you say you don't want to know why you have to read.

> Aaagh. Great job you guys doing all this Open Source stuff but soooo
> frustrating that you can't use it without being a C and Python wizard

What, following the instructions is too hard for you?

> It's not like its some obscure, little used feature I'm after here. I
> remember that survey on the Zope site that said connection to RDBMs was the
> number one interest of Zope users.
>
> How many people have given up on Zope for this kind of reason - thousands
> and thousands I would guess. Most customers don't complain, they just go
> elsewhere !!!

And for that, I am grateful.

> Anyway its looking for Python.h
>
> running build_ext
> building '_mysql' extension
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/usr/include/mysql
> -I/opt/Zope-2.4o
> _mysql.c:31: Python.h: No such file or directory
> _mysql.c:40: structmember.h: No such file or directory
>
> The only Python.h I've got is in the Python 1.5.2. that comes with RH6.1. I
> was deliberately running the Python 2.1 that comes with Zope (as it tell
> you to), but presumably that's why I get the problem ?

See above. You don't have the required development package needed to compile.
Once you have solved that problem, you can run setup.py bdist_rpm to make an
RPM for your platform, whatever that might be.