[Zope] *Designing* Zope sites

Trevor Toenjes zope@toenjes.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:44:23 -0400

Great feedback.  As a newbie to development, not just Zope, your comments
are appreciated.  (and refreshing)
I do have some follow-up curiosity Q's.

> - Do some things just the way you would with any old server. I still
> use /images/ for a place to put all my images and still reference
> them in html. I still name pages ".html", keep everything lowercase
> and use names for folders that make sense.
I have wondered if this makes the best sense with the world being .html
oriented.
Is this really a usability issue?  everything with zope looks like it is
coming from a folder, which eliminates the need from users to remember
.asp,.htm,.htm,.cfm
But doesnt this look confusing if you apply a method to an object(zClass)
and get zope/folder/adocument.html/amethod.html??  or can you avoid this?
Do you have other reasons for this?

I havent implemented "keep everything lowercase", which HAS caused usability
problems when users try to go to a case sensitive page directly.
Can mod_rewrite fix this by trying to find all lower or upper case
iterations of an URL?  An experienced developer that helps me couldnt figure
this out.

> - Spend extra time learning Zope security. If you don't it will bite
> you in the end (your end).
okay.  like I said, I am new to this. briefly, what are the security issues
with zope, and what is the easiest way for someone to break your Zope
maliciously?
Any examples you could share?

Thanks,
-Trevor