[Zope] Client Text Editor that Sends HTTP PUT statements

complaw@hal-pc.org complaw@hal-pc.org
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:03:27 GMT

Has anyone thought of using/modifying a text editor (or word processor!) to send
HTTP request statements?

The idea is for the user to download a form using the word processor's "fields"
capabilities to accept what would normally go into an HTML <form>.  Then the
user could user their normal word processor (with all its text editing features
and capabilities) to load in the text.  Then a macro button could be pressed to
reformulate the document into an HTTP response to the form.  Then Zope would see
a request, just as it would from a browser.  Post-processing in the macro could
perform the necessary (?) conversion of the text into HTML, or whatever before
the REQUEST is formulated and sent to Zope.

This would be particularly good in those situations where you have secretaries
and other clerical people who need to put sets of structured or formatted text
into Zope properties for storage, display, and retrieval.

I know that WebDAV has some of this capability, but that is for WHOLE files.
Here, I'm talking about editing certain fields in those objects using a standard
word processor.

Any thoughts?  Has anyone done this before?

Ron