[Zope] Re: Zope digest, Vol 1 #1674 - 27 msgs

Dan Shafer dshafer@yahoo.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:42:17 -0700 (PDT)

I'm still feeling a bit of the Newbie myself, so this answer may need to be corrected by someone
with more background, but I figured it was a good chance for me to contribute _something_ back to
this wonderful community.

In the Zope Book, Chapter 12 covers "Extending Zope." It teaches you how to create new Zope
products and then to use Z Classes. That's probably the right approach to doing this project if
you want to learn the programmatic approach. You would start by adding a new Customer product
through the Control Panel interface in Zope, then add your properties to it. Then you'd add the
DTML documents to do the stuff you want: add, edit, delete, etc.

Everything gets stored automagically in the Zope DB that way.

But another option presents itself. You could download and install MetaPublisher from Beehive.
This is a quite wonderful product that lets you define new classes and objects with properties,
including the automatic generation of screens to add, edit, search, and delete those objects. As a
little test, I used MP to create your Customer object. Took about 3 minutes.

Hope this helps a little and isn't too far from how a real Zopista would do this!

From: "Bobby Mathew" <bobby@stylusinc.com>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Cc: <zope-db@zope.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:55:09 +0530
Subject: [Zope] Newbie Help needed Using the Zope Object Database

Hi All,

I have been playing around with Zope as a newbie for sometime now. Now I =
want to start using the Object Database for my regular applications. I =
know the paradigm of using Object databases being different from the =
regular RDBMS. Now I understand how to design persistent classes in the =
object paradigm but I am not clear how to store these classes within =
Zope in the database. Can someone enlighten me on how to create the =
following customer class as a persistent class within Zope.

Customer
	Attributes :
		Name
		Age
	Methods :
		AddCustomer(Name, Age)
		DeleteCustomer(Name)
		LocateCustomer(Name)

I know about using python to create classes but its not clear how to use =
python scripts and how to store persistent classes with Zope itself =
instead of python.

Help...

Thanks for any thoughts on this...

bobby