[Zope] CatalogAwareBase doesn't auto-reindex?

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan_lists@netmeme.org
29 Sep 2001 16:09:11 -0600

--=-5k26xpUQAnEb3h4VwhDc

Hi,

I'm new to Zope -- let me first say, I'm totally blown away! I come from
a Java/JSP/Servlet world, and Zope is just blowing my mind!

I am using the latest Zope release (downloaded and installed yesterday).

I am trying to use ZCatalog, and CatalogAwareBase as a base class for my
custom ZObject.

I have successfully managed to get things straight so that my catalog
notices whenever I create new instances of my custom classess (I had to
call my catalog "Catalog"). The new instances correctly show up in the
"Catalog" tab of my Catalog.

However, I am having a terrible time trying to get the Catalog to
automatically re-index objects when I modify them. I am using standard
property sheet editor page generated in the Product config area for my
object class. Is this the wrong thing to do?

It's hard to imagine the usefulness of the ZCatalog without it being
up-to-date when objects change. I guess I'm just used to the RDBMS world
where this is completely expected behavior.

I can't tell if this is a bug in CatalogAwareBase, or else if the
documentation is lacking.

Thanks,

Bryan

--=-5k26xpUQAnEb3h4VwhDc

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>Hi,<br>
I'm new to Zope -- let me first say, I'm totally blown away! I come from a Java/JSP/Servlet world, and Zope is just blowing my mind!<br>
I am using the latest Zope release (downloaded and installed yesterday).<br>
I am trying to use ZCatalog, and CatalogAwareBase as a base class for my custom ZObject.<br>
I have successfully managed to get things straight so that my catalog notices whenever I create new instances of my custom classess (I had to call my catalog &quot;Catalog&quot;). The new instances correctly show up in the &quot;Catalog&quot; tab of my Catalog.<br>
However, I am having a terrible time trying to get the Catalog to automatically re-index objects when I modify them. I am using standard property sheet editor page generated in the Product config area for my object class. Is this the wrong thing to do?<br>
It's hard to imagine the usefulness of the ZCatalog without it being up-to-date when objects change. I guess I'm just used to the RDBMS world where this is completely expected behavior.<br>
I can't tell if this is a bug in CatalogAwareBase, or else if the documentation is lacking.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Bryan<br>
</BODY>
</HTML>