[Zope] Use the source Luke -- what could be done to help documentation process? Request for comments!

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:34:55 +0200

Hi all,

Chris McDonough wrote:
>> So in the next version of the printed book there would be a cd packed
>> with code-examples ,-)
>

> I'm not sure if you've seen it, but the newest Zopes ship with an
> Examples folder that contains some simple example applications.  They're
> not "real world" apps because they're very simple, but they should get
> folks "up and going".  Maybe there needs to be a Zope Book chapter that
> explains the examples in the Examples folder.
>
>> What is the status of Zope Help-files - and what is going to happen
>> with them?
>

> They continue to be updated every release.  The help system
> implementation might change, but the content will stay the same (or
> hopefully be improved).  Currently the API reference in the Zope Book is
> generated right from the help files, but it may make sense to make a
> different book (API reference or something) out of it to give it more
> exposure.

perhaps a dumb question, but would it be feasible to create the API-docs
straight from the source? OFS/Propertymanager.py is a nice example of a
doc-string. A tool like Dieter Maurer's docfinder shows how good incode
documentation can be very valuable.
This could perhaps be combined with a talkbacked source browsing feature
on zope.org. Everytime I have to dive really into the source to find out
what happens with my arguments (take ZCatalog.ZopeFindAndApply as an
example) I wish I could have some possibility to conserve what I found out.
This doesn't have to be perfect, but I *would* have added that
information anywhere if I had known where.
I don't know how sun creates something like
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/index.html
apart from the $$$$ they spend (which we/zope corp./supposedly everyone
else here can't), but every java type I know tells me about the
tremendous help it is. I know going that far is not doable, but it
really show a direction for making the second half of the learning curve
somewhat less steep.

>> Yes. I remember some time seen some proposition about rating system
>> for zope.org products. That would be nice, since peers would be able
>> to rate and comment on products. Also the feature to send comments to
>> the maker -- and also on the product page, would be nice. Meaning that
>> if there is a product which looks in words good, but in reality is
>> buggy crap, and the writer is long gone.. for example changed company
>> and email address etc.. users could write comments about their luck
>> with product / howto - etc.
>

> Yes, parts of this exist in new.zope.org.  I'm not sure that helps a
> lot, though. ;-)

I don't know if you refer to this very implementation, or to
rating/comments in general. I can only speak for myself, but for me,
things like that were valuable, be it freshmeat, apps.kde.com,
www.kdelook.org. It sometimes even is valuable browsing ordered by
score, so that I see if I might have overlooked some gems.

cheers,
oliver