[Zope] VirtualHostMonster Question?

zopedan zopedan@hotmail.com
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 16:52:58 -0800

I struggled with VHM for a while before getting it to work. Here is some
advice. Search the Zope How-To's with apache for a better explination

1) typo? Should have a space here
  RewriteRule ^/(.*)http://127.0.0.1  ...
  RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://127.0.0.1 ...

2) Assuming you are trying to make your root apache look like your root
zope you should have no need to specify index_html at the end of your
RewriteRule, end it with /VirtualHostRoot/$1

3) If you are worried about apache index.html vs zope index_html, a good
trick I saw in a howto is to make a index.html dtml-method in your zope
root with only <dtml-var index_html>, so now zope will translate any
index.html requests from apaceh to the zopish form

3) your setup specifies that you have placed your Virtual Host Monster
in the root directory of your zope instillation... since your are
getting that error message I assume that the host monster is there

basically in the request to apache
  http://localhost/A/B/C
Apache will grab off the /A/B/C
Apache will then send the request to :8080, the Virtual Host Monster
will grab it and make sure to return what looks like an apache:80
location
  What zope gets:  http://localhost:8080/A/B/C
  What user sees:  http://localhost/A/B/C

If you specify index_html at the end of your rewrite statement I believe
the request will be rewitting to something like
  What zope gets:  http://localhost:8080/index_html/A/B/C/
  What user sees:  http://localhost/A/B/C/
which won't make a lot of sense

hope this helps

on my windows xp machine with apache 1.3 I use these statements

==== httpd.conf ====
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/local(.*) $1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/(.*)
http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/localhost:80/VirtualHostRoot/