[Zope] Searching: Zcatalog, what else?

Thomas Guettler zopestoller@thomas-guettler.de
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:26:31 +0200

Paul Winkler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> re. search engines in zope:
> I know there's Zcatalog, but I'm curious
> what my other options are for implementing searches.
> Simply finding a string in the body of a document
> would be great.
>
> For example, How would you do text search if your data is in an
> SQL database?  Maintain a separate text index and update it every so often?

If your data is in an SQL-Database you could use input forms which result in
SQL-Statements  "select from table where column like <dtml-var input_field>".

Or you can use ZCatalog. I didn't use ZCatalog for an sql-database yet. But
it works fine for python products. You can keep your index always uptodate if
you call seld.index_object every time you change properties which are cataloged.
Your class needs to inherit from CatalogPathAware.CatalogAware.

HTH

  thomas