[Zope] Zope using DB

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:56:10 -0400

Alvaro Carneiro wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> It=B4s possible Zope use to store the site in a MySQL, Oracle, etc ?
>
> Zope store all site in a few files in /var directory, what the limit
> of this internal database ? It=B4s reliable ?
>
> Any document about this ?
>
> tks again
>
> **

Hello Alvaro,

It is possible to replace the FileStorage (the default Data.fs file)=20
with a different storage, such as an OracleStorage.

I recommend there be strong business reasons for using an RDBMS over=20
FileStorage -- the RDBMS interface will typically be several times=20
(between 5x and 50x depending on how well tuned the RDBMS is) slower=20
than FileStorage.

Also, objects that are stored in OracleStorage are still opaque -- you=20
cannot query them from outside Zope and get meaningful results back.

The Zope FileStorage can use more than 2G of disk space so long as your=20
version of Python and your operating system support large files.  It is=20
a very reliable storage; part of this is due to the simplicity of the=20
model it uses.

I dont know offhand of any document that discusses the merits of=20
FileStorage vs OracleStorage (or any other alternative Zope storage) but=20
you may be able to find one with Google.

--=20
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/=20