[Zope] Object without Undo?

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:20:33 -0400

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 06:47:11AM -0700, Terry Hancock wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm creating an "infinite-set" type product which generates
> objects on-the-fly based on their URL. In general many
> more objects are possible than are reasonable to store,
> yet relatively few would be used at any one time. Hence,
> a sensible approach is to provide a cache of recently
> requested objects and serve from the cache whenever
> feasible.

Interesting and weird idea...
I'm having a hard time imagining an application.
Why do you need so many objects?

 So, I'm wondering if (via Zope's API, as this is a Python-based
> product), there's a way to mark an object as not undoable --
> i.e. when it gets deleted, it's really gone.

Well, if your objects don't inherit from something which is
persistent, they won't get stored in the ZODB at all,
AFAIK. They'll simply exist in memory until
deleted or until zope restarts, whichever comes first.

But I haven't really looked into it closely.

--

Paul Winkler
home:  http://www.slinkp.com