[Zope] RE: [cadaver] Trouble forwarding Zope's WebDAV source port

Jean Jordaan jean@upfrontsystems.co.za
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:44:39 +0200

Hi Joe

> The infinite loop was due to a bug in old versions of cadaver: I
> suggest you upgrade to 0.19.1.

OK, I'll give that a shot. OK, now I don't get an infinite loop, I
get this instead::

 dav:!> open localhost:8888
 Looking up hostname... Connecting to server... connected.
 Could not contact server:
 Could not read status line: connection was closed by server.

> AFAIK this simply means that the ssh process running on the remote
> machine couldn't connect to remote.co.za on port 8800: running
>
>  $ telnet remote.co.za 8800
>
> from the ssh session should give the same results? (if so, is the
> server running, etc etc)

The server is definately running. I'm forwarding :8888 on local to
:8800 on remote::

 jean@local lib $ ssh -L 8888:remote.co.za:8800 remote.co.za
 jean@remote.co.za's password:
 Last login: Mon Apr 15 16:31:03 2002 from local.co.za

If I telnet to 8800 when logged in on remote, I connect successfully::

 [jean@remote jean]$ telnet localhost 8800
 Trying 127.0.0.1...
 Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
 Escape character is '^]'.

But when I telnet to the forwarded port 8888 when logged in on local,
I disconnect immediately::

 jean@local lib $ telnet localhost 8888
 Trying 127.0.0.1...
 Connected to localhost.
 Escape character is '^]'.
 Connection closed by foreign host.

I can't telnet from local to remote (telnet remote.co.za 8800):
firewalled. Which is why I want to forward the port.

I strongly get the feeling that I'm just not understanding ssh port
forwarding well enough ..

--
Jean Jordaan
Upfront Systems                         http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za