[Zope] Zope magazine

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:01:48 +0300

Hi Mark ( and everyone on the c:d zope-mailinglist),

just stumbled into Zopemag-site and saw what you at behiive have been
up to (http://zopemag.com/Issue001/index.html). My first thougth was
that what a nice idea, untill I realized that it isn't that great idea
- since the magazine is based on paid subscriptions.

I do know that people need to get paid for their work, but that also
raises the question about what people are getting for the money they
pay. For example judging by the first issue ( it is not fair to judge
by the covers, I know ) , there isn't much to pay for yet.

I am all up to educating people more about zope and canonical
documents like good howto's reports, articles and books are propably
the best guidance -- and after that people need technical
documentation. Zopemag now raises a couple of questions:

1) What is editorial policy:
      - who can and will contribute
      - what do you will pay for the contributors

2) Openess policy
      - how much content will be open in the future
        for example would something like making the previous
        numbers free be out of the question?
      - what open services will be developed?

If the world would be ideal place, I would like to see something like
zopemag as a completely open system, or partly paid and for example
archive as open content. I feel that magazine like content is really
good to tie thing together and get people to find products and other
howto's that migth interst them.

Of course my point of view is only about educating people and myself,
since I do not make money out of selling Zope-knowledge, even though I
make money out of creating services and applications with Zope.

Please answer and start discussion about what community could do to
support something like zopemag and vice versa. I feel that if made
well, something like zopemag could be really good -- like the really
active personal zope-portals have sofar been.

By the way - the idea of zope in intranet's is really well. I am just
finishing my thesis to a polytechnic about building intranet to
support implementation of strategy -- and supprise supprise
as a case example I present an intranet built with Zope and CMF.

-huima