[Zope] path notation

Dennis Allison allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:36:29 -0700 (PDT)

There ought to be an easier way ..

Suppose I have a folder structure

A-B-C-D

  E-F

and an object in D needs to reference an object in F,
the reference is resolved by writing a set of nested
dtml-with statements, first referencing B, then E, and
finally F.  B is found by acquisition, but traversion
the path has to be explict.

It's a pain to write and puts information about the site
organization more deeply into the methods than I would like.
I'm sure there's a better way to manage things, but I
have not a clue.  Can someone point it out?

A related problem arises when some of the path is computed.
For example

   C-D-E
A-|
  C'-D'-E'

is a fairly common structure in one of my sites.  I compute
the choice between C and C' and then try to construct a
path, but it keeps giving me referece errors, I suppose
because the thing I compute is a string and not the object
(duh...).  I suppose I need to use getattr() to find the
associated object :-)

-d