[Zope] Returning data as XML from a python script?

Alec Munro alec.munro@eoascientific.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:21:26 -0300

Hi all,
I'm trying to set up a fairly generic system for retrieving data from a
database and bundling it so that it can easily be placed in any front
end medium. For the moment, this means simply finding a data format that
I can use in both HTML and Flash. I'm fairly certain that I could get
Python to return XML easily, but the question I have right now is: is
there an easy way I can leverage this so that Python doesn't care
whether it was a page template or a flash movie that made the call, and
that it will work in either situation? I love Flash, but I know many
people don't, and we don't have the budget for redoing our entire site
anyway, so it is a given that HTML will be the presentation medium of
choice. But I would like to have the data there if I want to put a Flash
front-end on a specific page.
As I understand it now, Flash would be happy simply receiving the text
of an XML document, and then parsing it into useful information, while
ZPT would prefer to have an object that it can reference the properties
of. Is there an easy solution? I suppose I could simply have a wrapper
class for HTML, Flash, and any other mediums we choose to utilize? Well
maybe I answered my own question, but I'm a Zope newbie, and I have yet
to make extensive use of Flash's XML streaming facilities, so I would
appreciate if everyone would throw in their comments on this, as I'm
sure there are many things I am overlooking.
Thanks for your time, and I'm really sorry if outlook mangles this.

Alec Munro
EOA Scientific Systems