[Zope] WebDAV access from MS-Office

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:52:37 +0200

Andreas Jung writes:
 > On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 09:21:50PM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
 > > Andreas Jung writes:
 > >  > > Is it possible to use umlauts in file names?
 > >  >
 > >  > No (at least not without hacking the corresponding check for
 > >  > valid Ids).
 > > Should we kill this restriction?
 > >
 > >    I think/hope it is no longer necessary.
 >
 > We discussed this problem last year and the key question was,
 > what characters should be allowed: utf-8, latin-1, iso-8859-X..
Looks like a configuration/startup parameter, similar to "-L".
It would control the default encoding of (all) non-Unicode strings inside
Zope -- similar to Python's "default_encoding".

 > or whatever. I would really love to see the restriction lifted.
 > However lifting the restriction must not break existing code.
Lifting a restriction is not likely to break existing code.
Of course, we must be careful when URLs are constructed.
When I looked at it for the last time, it appeared to correctly
quote the components. But there may be lots of places...

Dieter