[Zope] Zope 2.5.0, thread stack issues

Geoff Gerrietts geoff@gerrietts.net
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:12:05 -0700

I'm in the process of moving a site from a (much) earlier release of
Zope, up to 2.5.whatever. In making this migration, I have encountered
a problem with segmentation faults and spontaneous Zope restarts that
sounds an awful lot like the problems some BSD users were encountering
earlier.

The principal difference between my case and theirs is that they're on
BSD, where the thread stack size is by default yitty-bitty (64k), and
I'm working on Linux, where the thread stack size is by default really
huge (2MB). The solution previously recommended was to boost the
thread stack size to 128k; Linux already provides well more. It's also
a lot harder to boost the stack size under Linux; if there's a way to
do it short of recompiling glibc, I don't know what it is, yet, and
I've spent a lot more time than I should trying to find one.

Now the symptoms I'm seeing pretty obviously have more to do with the
signal handler for segfaults than any particular manifestation of
segfault, but early triage attempts pointed at this thread stack
problem.

So, because I can't find hard diagnostic details in the mailing list
archives, I'm hoping that someone might be able to tell me what the
best indicator would be, or how to go about demonstrating that it
isn't this problem.

Thanks,
--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts                <geoff at gerrietts net>
"I have read your book and much like it." --Moses Hadas