[Zope] [ANN] ZShell 1.4

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 23:33:11 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the long awaited new version of ZShell, the Zope
Shell.

ZShell is an external Zope method which allows you to
manipulate the ZODB using standard unix shell's commands
from within Zope's Management Interface in your web
browser.

ZShell is the swiss army's knife of the Zope admin, but care should be
taken when giving access to ZShell to mere mortals...

ZShell is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License,
with no special restrictions since the ZPL was certified as GPL compatible
by the Free Software Foundation.

New features are :

    * Commands tid, dbconn, davlocks, printenv, setenv, unsetenv, echo
      were added.

    * Preliminary support for variables assignments works fine : you
      now have access to every variable from Zope's environment, plus
      every variable from the REQUEST object (as their string
      representations), either for reading, setting or using them.
      The syntax is the *nix shell $ one, here's an example of what
      you can do know :

        exec ls -la $INSTANCE_HOME/*

      another one :

        setenv --zope ZDAEMON_MANAGE=FALSE

      Needless to say that you use this feature at your own risk !

ZShell version 1.4 now has a new home at :

	http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/

and a restricted demo can be tested online at :

	http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/ZShell/rsh

Please be kind with this demo, any abuse will be severely punished ;-)

(Now it's time for me to do a backup, I suppose)

Any comment or help will be very welcome.

Thank you for reading.

Jerome Alet