[Zope] Zope in intranet - the cool apps?

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 13:44:47 +0300

Andy McKay wrote:

> Take a look at ZFS. It maps objects, such as Images, Files, Mp3's, DTML
> Documents etc on to the file system so that versioning systems or other
> tools (such as samba) can be used. Its designed for just this purpose in my
> mind. Now if I could just get someone to buy a system built from that... ;)

Do - did - done. Like the idea, but will wait for it to be more
mature. I'm in all support of your effort!

> Ive found most calendaring systems on intranets get totally and utterly
> ignored myself. Other intranets that give all these online chats / email
> clients and all that stuff have never done a thing for me.

Well there are people who those apps mean a lot - and also some people
that those apps are the intranet. Some pointy haired managers want to
see intranet as internal magazine and nice looking calendar on same
page. For example there are some enviroments where these calendar,
email, contacts - functions in intranet are really usefull: think
about company where people move a lot and don't have computers at
their usage all the time, but these access points.

But like I said, I don't want to discuss about that now. I just wish
that some people would make such a solution someday ,--) Or I could
wrap even some commercial package to be used inside Zope enviroment.

> What I want in an intranet is Google. Take Zope, ZCatalog, Document Library,
> Mailman, a searchable mail archive, easy group user management, Wiki's, ZFS
> and Samba, roll it all into one easy to take pill and tadda its an Intranet
> I would like.

Yes. We have seen similar dreams.

Zope + CMF as a foundation.
exUserFolder or LDAP USerFolder for authentication
Search that accesses also mailarchives in local mailman and possibly
sends querys to other resurces if wanted, like:
   - ASPN's archive of Zope-list
   - Google groups
   - etc.

Wraps newsfeeds from other resources with:
   - KebasData
   - Meerkat
   - RDFSummary

Tools for building knowledge
   - Wiki
   - Some realtime chat / whiteboard tool ( any suggestions? anyone? )
   - Personal blogs / ideabanks for storing ideas as they come
   - CVSView ?

Personalisation
   - Filter the elements you want and need to see - to be the first
ones accessible from anywhere

Now that would be a good foundation to do some serious work.

-huima