[Zope] Zope in intranet - the cool apps?

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 20:48:06 +0300

Andy McKay wrote:

> I suppose, I just havent seen it yet. Companies that tried to provide such a
> thing, WorldPilot for example dont seem to be around now.

Well if that is the ONLY thing, then they have a problem. If MS has
the same thing in their applications ( Outlook and Exchange server )
then MS solution will propably be used. ,-)

For me the PIM part is not the most important, eventhough it is really
nice. Compared to the tools we discussed in previous mails PIM does
not make more money for us if we use it, it just simplifies life when
we have the possibility to use the same applications and access the
same info from anywhere. Eventhough it would not be our own desktop
computer with clients configured for all of our settings.

Also it would be nice to have the PIM software operate with other
programs too, meaning I could get info out of the calendar to other
places, link to address books and to emails etc.

We have so far managed with a simple web php groupcalendar and using
IMP as a webmail when needed. There are problems with authentication,
since the calendar has own authentication in database, webmail from
webserver, calendard database structure sucks ass, there is no
collective address book etc.

It would be really nice to have all that in one good application,
inside Zope. But it would not change the world as we know it, since
there are other application that do it. From Microsoft and from Notes,
IBM. Second best solution would be to have the possibility run Zope
next to these PIM features running either in Notes or MS solution,
linkid in a way that user would not know the difference jumping from
one to another.

> Yep now if we could get the $ to do that it would be great ;)

Well $ is not everything, it only the rent, food, books, internet connection,
pepsi-max, coins to videogames, mobile phone... well yeah. It would be great
to get money for that.

But also I would like to do it, and prove it to work. Have people use
it and improve it. From the strategic viewpoint I feel that there are
two possible uses for Zope in intranets, just like for any other
application or application framework:

    1) To be the main framework for intranet - authentication,
publishing system, search engine etc. - and wrap parts from other
systems inside Zope.

    2) Be just one application in the intranet, concentrating in some
task like project workspaces or similar

It would be nice to show people that, yes - you can use it in either
way. If your boss buys the whole idea, then go ahead and build
everything with Zope. If not, do just that one really innovative and
important application that you need to get done. And here is a way to
get started.

-huima