[Zope] Apache Rewrite w/o VHM

Mike Renfro renfro@tntech.edu
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:02:56 -0500

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 04:10:45PM -0400, Jim Kutter wrote:

> I have a massive site, that must be migrated picemeal to zope. I
> would like to create virtual urls that pass into zope. I do not want
> to use virtual host in apache, nor do I want to use proxypass
> because of problems I've ran into with that.

An adaptation of what I wrote up in
http://www.zope.org/Members/mwr/VHosts_With_Zope_Default should work,
I'd think. Of course, where I'm defaulting to Zope content and letting
Apache handle specific cases, you'd be doing the opposite, and the
RewriteRules would change accordingly. My method does use mod_proxy,
but doesn't use ProxyPass specifically.

I'd think something like (completely untested):

        <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
          RewriteEngine On
          RewriteLog "/var/log/apache/rewrite_log"
          RewriteLogLevel 1
          RewriteRule ^/section_in_zope/(.*) \
            http://my.real.host.name:9673/VirtualHostBase/http/my.virtual.host.name:80/zope_section_folder/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [P]
          RewriteRule ^/other_section_in_zope/(.*) \
            http://my.real.host.name:9673/VirtualHostBase/http/my.virtual.host.name:80/other_zope_section_folder/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [P]
          RewriteRule ^/(.*) [L]
        </IfModule>

with a VirtualHostMonster in Zope's root folder object would do it. No
ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse, no SiteAccess rules locking you out of
the site, and the VHM should handle changing the base href tag.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu