[Zope] Use of Zope

Ben Avery ben@thesite.org
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:57:46 +0100

ditto :)

I work for a web-based charity in the UK, YouthNet, who have been chosen
to develop an 'e-volunteering' system for a government organisation,
Business In The Community, to allow companies and their employees to do
volunteering work opportunities.
I am using Zope as an application server to build the website the
employees use, and to communicate with XML-RPC to client applications
(written in VB, yuck ;) in the voluntary bureaux, who provide the
opportunity details.

I chose Zope, as I am (was) a Perl developer, but couldn't find a
suitable system in Perl, after evaluating a few, and thought Zope looked
like it could do everything I needed (session management, user
authentication and validation, work as an XML application server as well
as a dynamic content web server), and would let me develop the system
quickly.

There have been problems so far: it has taken a while to get the hang of
Zope, the large number of alternative Products available, the sometimes
poor documentation and the lack of a really good book covering
everything I need.

But on the positive side, the ZMI is great, it is a nice development
model, cleanly separates logic, database and presentation methods, and
has a fantastic helpful community mailing list.

We're considering moving all our Perl CGI stuff to Zope, but I'm
reluctant before I can see a clearer idea of where it is going and if it
will be around in the future. Zope 3 looks promising, to cut out a lot
of clutter and make things simpler. Does anyone know when it will be
released?

Ben Avery
YouthNet UK