[Zope] ZODB Conflicts

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:25:53 -0400

This is actually normal Zope behavior.  It logs an INFO message to
let you know there was a conflict but it doesn't mean there is an
error.  If your site has unacceptable performance and you see a lot
of these messages, you may want to investigate.  "Investigating"
means learning lots of stuff you probably don't want to know right
now, but when you're ready, read the Zope Developer's Guide
Persistence chapter at
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/ZDG/Persistence.stx and then
review your code for simultaneous updates to the same object(s).

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gilberto Pereira" <gil@peopleware.pt>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 3:47 PM
Subject: [Zope] ZODB Conflicts

Hi all...

I have a "problem" that i would like to know more about...
Sometimes, my Zope server window shows a message like:
INFO(0) ZODB conflict error at object... (n conflicts since
startup...)

I'm guessing it happens when two users access the same published
object
at the same time...
Zope treats this problem by (guessing again) serializing the
requests,
and all ends well...

But i can't stop thinking i'm doing something wrong (or at least i'm
forgetting to do something)

Is this procedure normal??? Or is there a way of preventing this
(besides turning the -D option when launching zope server) ? What
i=B4m
really asking is if there=B4s a product i should inherit when i build
my
own products in python, or take some other measures to prevent this
behaviour.

The products i=B4m talking about are mainly to fetch and treat data
stored
in an external database.

I'm using Zope 2.5.1 (binary release, python 2.1, win32-x86), python
2.1.3, win32)

If there=B4s someone out there who can give a help about this, i would
appreciate.

Cheers
Gil