[Zope] Zope Tutorial Tool?

Patrick Price jprice22@wvu.edu
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 01:15:23 -0400

Idea mode on:

Is there any kind of Zope Tutorial Tool out there?   Something for
throwing together instructional pages like the Zope Tutorial?
Something that could be used for ANY kind of tutorial, slide show,
web-based learning, etc.

At the very least a more comprehensive tutorial than focusing on Elvis
sightings (which is a good tutorial, don't get me wrong)

And before you tell me to write one myself, I have to learn Zope and
Python first...  By then I'll have some good ideas of what to put in a
tutorial, but by that time I'll know Zope and everything that's now
unclear will become clear, and I'll think "Why bother?  That's *basic*
stuff."

Rant:
While I'm on the subject of documentation, it would be nice if every doc
standardized on having sections like:

What do I do with this?  Practical example for the uninitiated.  Like,
 "if you don't understand authentication, look at *this* link." before
you even try to use this product.  In other words, not only show the
*software* dependencies, but show the *knowledge* dependencies.  Think
how fewer emails you'd get from people like me asking silly questions.

What does it look like?  Screenshot?  (Save me the bother of installing
yet another calendar package, trying to figure out how to use it, then
seeing that the output is *crap*, and uninstalling and having had to
restart the server *twice*.)  I *love* product pages that have
screenshots or show an image of what the control will look like.

and

When you have a nice web page with cool widgets/whatnots, tell people
how it was implemented in size-2 type or something.  Are you afraid I'll
steal your design?  Hey, that's how I learn!   The ZDP comes to mind.
 How do they do that?  Is it mentioned on that page?  Nope. No, "this
wiki based on wackproductZ and CMF".   I see so many nice web layouts
and have *no* idea how they were done, what products were used, nada.
 It's a shame.

People learn stuff then take it for granted.

Ah, the curse of learning.  Thanks for letting me spam.  Filter on.

-Patrick Price
If you're gonna tell me to "read the documentation" without telling me
which part, then don't even bother replying to my desperate plea for a
clue..  Help point me in the right direction, at least.  Although I
sometimes *do* need a good whack on the head.  I'm reminding to the
ancient wisdom of "use your resources, Luke".  But my name isn't Luke,
so then I forget.