[Zope] Zope Documentation

douwe@oberon.nl douwe@oberon.nl
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:11:36 +0200

> I understand what you mean, but...
> Why is it then that it regularly occurs that I see a question on the
> mailinglist that gets an answer like: "You shouldn't use product A,
> but B..."?
> Followed by: "Because"
> "it's no good..." or
> "it's not maintained any more..." or
> "with B you can also..." or
> "in B you don't have to...".
[...]
> Maybe we shouldn't talk about a true way, but about a *preferred* way.
> I really think it's a damn pity to learn something, try it, have problems
> and finally find out I'd better done it in another way.
>
> That's not very encouraging. Don't you agree?
Of course I agree, it would be nice if things were more clear. But the
question is preferred by whom? I use LocalFS, even though it is no longer
maintained it seems and I'm sure there are a number of products B better in
one way or the other, but I happen to like LocalFS, so there you go. Same
goes for DTML vs Python. I actually think the ZopeBook does a pretty good
job. If you understand everything in the book, you're pretty much there.

On the other hand, I think you have point when it comes to products. As far
as I know, there is not really a general product guide.

Douwe