[Zope] Playing the Devil's Advocate: Why Zope?

kosh@aesaeion.com kosh@aesaeion.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 03:53:05 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, EvH wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My dad is finally considering rewriting his business applications from VB
> to the web... and asked me to check out the different tools available. I
> know a bit about environments like Zope, OpenCMS, am currently checking out
> VB.Net or "simple" languages like PHP.
>
> Could anyone experienced with those tools tell me why I should go for
> ASP.Net, or even what is the point of prefering more complex environments
> like Zope over PHP?

Well I would disqualify all .NET stuff by default because they are
proprietary technology and in my experience so far you will get burned
EVERY SINGLE TIME with proprietary tech.

That basically leaves you with free software solutions. I prefer python
code over php and perl for readability and ease of coding.

That leaves python based solutions of which there are a number. However I
like being able to build applications that are pretty secure and zope has
an entire security framework built in that you can tie into pretty easily
and it has an OODB that it writes to which makes it easy to work with at
least from my perspective.

Thus my choice is ZOPE.