[Zope] ZODB performance issues

VanL vlindberg@verio.net
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:49:45 -0600

Hello,

We have a script that does a'database import' into the ZODB.  This
script iterates through a series of records (currently in text files)
and creates corresponding Zope objects.  We can do small (<100) imports
relatively well, but on a large import (1000+) the Zope process balloons
in size and eventually becomes unresponsive.  Sending a SIGHUP to Zope
restores normal functionality and performance, and the created objects
all seem to work fine.  However, we don't want to have to restart Zope
every time we do an import.

My suspicion, based on the above evidence, is that the ZODB caching
mechanism is to blame for the slowdown.  Can anybody confirm this, or
offer an alternate explanation?

And, if caching is the culprit, is there a way to programmatically turn
off caching for the duration of a script run?

Thanks,

VanL