[Zope] Problems with list of object references

Sven Rudolph rudolph@medical-tribune.de
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:49:46 +0200

Hello Max,

> >I was thinking about your suggestion to use ZCatalog. Isn't the attribute data_record_id_ some kind of object reference? It seems to be unique and static. Do you now how it is generated?
> >

> My guess is that it is a key to an object in the ZCatalog, which then
> has the path stored :-/

All paths lead to restrictedTraverse... ;-)

[...]
> Do you really need the full
> object to be envoked/rendered in that 100 article list?
I need this list for different purposes. In most cases I need access to object attributes. Currently my list is a path list, and I use it with:
for path_to_object in object_paths:
 restrictedTraverse(path_to_object).my_object_attribute()

But I have tested it with a list of real object references:
for item in object_references:
 item.my_object_attribute()

This is much faster, but the list turns invalid after a few minutes (no restart, no refresh of the buffer product, just waiting).
Zope caches objects after access. I think the objects in my object list are removed from the cache after a while, and when the above for loop uses the list again, the references point to nothing ...

I'm afraid I have to live with this performance loss (using a path list), and give up at this point.

Greetings

Sven

--
Sven Rudolph, Programmierer