[Zope] Running zope in non zope hosting company

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 16:26:51 +0300

I was looking for a Zope hosting for my personal projects and was
ready to purchase hosting from iMeme, when decided to also see wether
non Zope hosting companies would be able to satisfy my needs. I read
from mailing lists that others had done it and tried it.

I contacted Nebula ( finnish small hosting company ) and checked that
in their service I would get a shella ccount and cgi-rights.
Unfortunately I was not allowed to run Zope in any of the server's
ports - so I had to configure zope to operate only through pcgi.

z2.py all_the_config_needed_and \
-W - \
-w - \
-f - \
-p /to/the/pcgi/resource

Problems?

Authentication. Eventhough I had read about it, I had never witnessed
http-authentication problems with Apache rewrites. I tried and tried,
until got fed up, installed CMF and took cookie crumbler in use. No
more problems.

Also there were some minor Apache + rewrite configuration problems,
but I am solving them hopefully with the assistance of the
administrators who will tell me more about their setup and
configuration - what is allowed and what is not.

Lessons learned?

1) Contact and ask if running Zope is allowed. And how it is allowed (
can you use Zope's servers or to listen for connections or not ).

2) Possibly make a Data.fs with cookie crumbler and all ready - and
use that from the beginning. Just in case ,-)

3) Have fun.

How many of you are running zope in some non zope hosting company?
Which companies?

-huima