[Zope] Re: Recommended Zope book?

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:57:39 +0200

Hi,

--On Dienstag, 20. August 2002 00:18 -0400 Chris McDonough
<chrism@zope.com> wrote:

>> However...<noflames>  :-) I printed it and spent half an hour reading
>> and I find that it is lacking in some respects.  It contains good
>> content but the presentation is inconsistent.  I had to read several
>> sections multiple times to grasp easily explained concepts which could
>> have been explained in one well-written paragraph or if presented in a
>> different order.  The layout itself became so distracting that to retain
>> my sanity I had to start marking up the three chapters I read with
>> layout revisions and suggestions.
>
> Suggestions welcome!  I haven't turned on the comment features of the
> book because it's not finished yet. Hmm.  I should put that in the
> header, huh? ;-) <sound of patrick's dropping jaw goes here>. Sorry....
> will do that now.
>
>> I suspect others new to Zope might have the same problems with it that I
>> am having, so I must ask with whom (or where) I can correspond directly
>> if suggestions are welcomed.
>
> That would be me.  It'd be nice for followups to stay on the list so we
> can have
> yet-another-how-much-the-Zope-docs-suck-and-in-the-end-everybody-scatters
> -when-faced-with-editing-duties sort of thread. Cynicism aside, I really
> am interested in specific advice on how to make it better, and I'll take
> any help.  I'm not proud. ;-)

Ah, thats fine. Since I proofreaded the german translation of the book, I
had
to incorporate some small fixes regarding the newer Zope version and some
stuff I came accross.
For example the original book often uses "select * from table..."
in ZSQL examples where I replaced it with "select column, column, ... from
table"
since this helps around mistakes and hard-to-find errors.

Unfortunately the influence of the proofreader could only be minimal.

Chris, if you want, I can send my suggestions to you.

Regards
Tino