[Zope] Linux vs. UNIX vs. BSD

Bo M. Maryniuck b.maryniuk@forbis.lt
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:44:48 +0200

On Tuesday 20 August 2002 11:55, Peter Bengtsson wrote:
> For dev and desktop I personally prefer Mandrake,=20
A distro of festivals, like pop-music... :-) German SuSE is much better i=
n=20
their german programming accuracy and bug issues.

> but what I like becomes
> irrelevant when it's time to set up a serious server for production use=
=2E
> What matters then is:
>   - performance
Quite same if you use the same hardware.

>   - configurability
SuSE: YaST (automatish and the best)
MDK: DrakConf (quite poor)
RH: LinuxConf (mostly buggy)
*BSD / UNIX: /dev/hands :)

>   - ease-of-use and lack of hacks
Here I prefer only SuSE Linux. In BSD, certainly configuration is more si=
mple=20
then in Linux (mail accounts, TCP packets, etc), but it is also more=20
hackerish -- mostly all you should do by hands.

>   - integration with RDBMS
SuSE 7.1 and 7.2 is Oracle certified. :)

>   - backup possibilities
This is software stuff. Actually "cat" command is your friend:

=09cat /dev/hdd1 > /tmp/backups/my_backup.dat

=2E..then Bzip2 it and "scp" to somwhere.

>   - ZEO (load balancing and caching).
In theory, BSD is better than Linux in some kernel issues, such as memory=
=20
management. But in fact, since Linux kernel 2.4.x that is not a problem=20
anymore. Actually, we had tried BSD and Linux and Win32 for Zope and some=
=20
other Python apps. So currently we running on Linux even because it is re=
ally=20
fast and has enought of additional software.

--=20
Regards, Bogdan

A "critic" is a man who creates nothing and thereby feels qualified to ju=
dge
the work of creative men. There is logic in this; he is unbiased -- he ha=
tes
all creative people equally.