CPU Affinity, was RE: [Zope] Linux vs. UNIX vs. BSD

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@kostyrka.priv.at
22 Aug 2002 08:40:38 +0200

Am Don, 2002-08-22 um 03.22 schrieb Tim Hoffman:
> Hi Sean
>
> Ok, I'll bite ;-) (I am biased though, I worked for Sun for 7 years in
> the 90's)
Well I'm biased too :) (I've been into the Linux thing since 1992, when
I had to monopolize the only public Internet terminal at the university
for days to download dozens discs, ...)

> The fact is many of the gnu tools predate much of linux, and I would
> suggest many of them where actually developed on sunos and solaris ;-)
>
> They all share the same heritage.
>
> But yes you are correct, many of the gnu tools are pretty much mandatory
> on any Unix installation.
>
> But having said that, each time I upgrade redhat on my notebook, I end
> up installing an enormous bunch of additional stuff, that redhat don't
> include on the CD's/standard distribution.
Well, than it's your fault for choosing Redhat. SuSE or Debian provide a
much more complete set of packages. Redhat has always been a more core
OS business ;)

> I use linux and solaris and both have areas which they could improve
> mightily on.
Probably. ;)

> On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 21:44, sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:
> > Sigh... I always thought Solaris was an exercise in feature-broken command
> > line tools (want to try unpackaging Zope without GNU tar anyone) ;)  The
> > first thing most sysadmins do is make Solaris act/look more like Linux by
> > installing boatloads of GNUish tools (bash,gcc,vim,tar,gzip), so if all that
> > is left is a kernel, it sort of defeats the point of the hassle (assuming
> > you could get the same with one build of a patched Linux kernel).
>
> Actually there is a bunch of stuff in the core solaris, in areas of
> process control, tuning, which linux doesn't come close too etc.. also
Well, that I cannot dispute. OTOH there are quite a number of patches
that support quite "enterprise"-level functionality.
> solaris doesn't require things like kernel rebuilds when you add you
> drivers/hardware, which makes me stay with solaris over linux in many
Well, that's pure bullshit. With modern distributions you are even
warned not to rebuild your kernel, unless you really know what you are
doing. ;)
> production server cases.
>
> The basic gnuish tools as you put it, aren't the be all and end all of
> the OS.
No, but it's curious how some people try anything to get them. Witness
the Windows guys with cygwin :)

> I do lament the slower mhz rating and the apparent slower running of
> python, due to lower mhz.
Slower MHz rating?

> My last dig, is I still believe (personal experience) the hardware is
> far more stable than the average intel kit installed ;-)
Well your sentence implies thate there also not so average intel kits
available. And considering the fact that Sun Hardware is also a bit
above the price of the average intel kit, it might more fair to compare
expensive Intel server style hardware with Sun hardware than cheap
standard boxes shanghaied into the server room :)

Andreas