[Zope] Re: Generic Content Object for use with Page Templates

Tim Hicks tim@sitefusion.co.uk
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:43:44 +0100

> Tim Hicks wrote:
> > But I get the feeling that it's not something you'd do yourself ("If you
> > really want to work it this way...") - why is that and do you have
> > alternative site structures?
>
> In the past, I've used plain File objects when I needed a quick & dirty
> content object.  This works for me since I don't try to traverse them
> directly, only refer to them.  By this I mean that I might have a Folder
> 'news' that contains Files like '2002082101', but I never try to send
> the user to "http://.../news/2002082101".  I'll have a news page at
> "http://.../news", and if a user is managing a piece of content, they'll
> be at "http://.../news/edit?nid=2002082101".

Should I presume you term File objects as 'quick and dirty content objects'
coz when you don't want to be 'quick and dirty', you roll your own?

> Obviously, this may not work for you if you have a different model for
> user interaction with content.  If you can, I advise using the CMF.

Thanks for the input.  For me, the slate is actually fairly clean, so I
could potentially use such a system as you describe.  As for the CMF, I'm
not a convert yet, so I think I'll steer clear for now.

cheers,

tim