[Zope] Non-live edits to live site

Jim Kutter jim@ebizq.net
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:00:13 -0400

Ah. I was unaware the external editor product supported versions. =
Thanks!

-jim

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Casey Duncan" <casey@zope.com>
To: "Jim Kutter" <jim@ebizq.net>; <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Non-live edits to live site

My ExternalEditor product works with versions. I'm not sure how well it =
works=20
with DreamWeaver though. I'm working on this for my next release tho=20
(promises, promises...)

If it is a CMF site, you can use CMFStaging and ZopeVersionControl to =
create=20
staged development, review and production environments on one zope.

Alternately you could setup separate Zopes and synchronize them with a =
tool=20
like ZSyncher.

ZEO won't solve this sort of problem.

hth,

-Casey

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 10:54 am, Jim Kutter wrote:
> I went live with part of my site in Zope and all went well (thanks for =
the=20
mountains of help from this group). But I've ran into a bit of a sticky=20
wicket that I hadn't thought of until now.
>=20
> We (me - Developer and our Designer) primarily use external editors on =
Win98=20
and FTP to do what we need to do, then upload the changes back to Zope =
(I use=20
Xemacs, she uses DreamWeaver) - however the version control object =
doesn't=20
catch FTP transactions, so whatever we upload is live, thereby =
eliminating=20
the ability to test new things (particularly new scripts - which don't =
work=20
with version control anyway).
>=20
> My question is - short of setting up a ZEO cluster (which I'm not sure =
would=20
solve it anyway), or having a zope install on our desktops, how can I =
setup=20
some ability to do new things to the site without them being live right =
away?