[Zope] test scripts with versions

Adam Getchell AdamG@hrrm.ucdavis.edu
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:14:03 -0700

Jim,

I've used Zsyncer about a month in a 4 tiered site: Squid <-- Production <--
Test <-- Devel, where authors only get access to Devel, we Zsync up to Test
and run the Webchecker Python script, then sync up to Production.

It works beautifully. The only hitch is, if you're using Squid and
Siteroots, be careful of copying the database from Production to the
development sites -- I did that, and all the devel sites ended up editing
production.

I sorted this out because I used different passwords on the different
servers, so the popup password dialog was a giveaway.

It recursively iterates through zope, so a change to /MyFolder will also
sync up /MyFolder/SubFolder. However, if you look at /MyFolder in Zsync, it
will not display a change in /MyFolder/SubFolder.

This behavior is slightly annoying, and puzzling since it will actually make
changes in /MyFolder/SubFolder provided there are changes to be made in
/MyFolder. We ended up telling our writers to explicitly tell us the path of
the object they want uploaded.

But, it's a beautiful product that I think should be integrated into Zope's
core functionality. Once you're on Zsync, you won't look back. ;-)

*	Adam Getchell
AdamG@hrrm.ucdavis.edu
*	System Architect/Programmer			(530) 752-1584
*	Human Resources Information Systems
http://www.hr.ucdavis.edu/
"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability in the opponent." -- Sun Tzu